Saturday 5 November 2016

Pack your Heels!

Gypsy blood runs through my veins; I'm a born traveller and I grab every opportunity to jump on a plane and explore somewhere new.

I also manage an amazing team who look after travellers and deal with emergency situations every day, so it's no surprise to me that travel comes with a certain risk. Every day, my team manage multiple cases for Australian and New Zealand travellers with situations ranging from lost passports to serious medical conditions. I've been in the business a long time and there are not too many situations that surprise me any more. 

I've written numerous emergency response plans for corporates sending staff on location, as well as travel safety guides for leisure travellers. Armed with this information doesn't make me immune to travel emergencies, it only means that I'm more aware of the kinds of situations that can happen. 

I sincerely hate pulling the solo female traveller card out - but the reality is as a solo female traveller, the element of danger is more heightened and I'm living proof!

This year alone I have explored 11 countries from Bosnia to Austria and unfortunately have experienced one or two incidents. Rather than let it ruin my love of travel, I decided to jot down few pointers that I hope will help other female travellers. 




Here are the top five measures I take to lessen the risk of being a target:


 1 - Arranging a car pick up on arrival into a new city
The extra money for a private car is worth it when arriving into a city I've never been to before..

I fly from Australia which means regardless of where I travel to, its likely going to be a long flight and I'll be weary walking through the arrivals gate. If I'm flying into a new city, I won't know the lay of the land and by jumping into a taxi (or metered vehicle), I could easily be a target to be ripped off. 

A private car (or town car), will also help you with luggage in and out of the car so there is little chance of leaving something behind. If it is left behind, you have a higher chance of it being returned to you. 

2 - Wear a wedding ring, carry photos of children
Even if you're not married or don't have any children, wearing a wedding ring will give you a certain status. This doesn't necessarily mean you have an invisible protection dome around you, but it does mean you can politely decline unwanted invitations with a "safe" excuse. 

You can also embellish your travel plans if you're feeling vulnerable - "my husband is joining me shortly..." kinda thing. 

3 - Watch your drink being poured
I know this a no brainer, but it needs mentioning again and again and again. In our business, we see hundreds of cases where women (and men) have fallen victim to drink spiking and the results can be both emotionally and physically damaging.

Drinks get spiked all the time so if someone offers to buy you a drink and you're happy to accept, watch it being poured and don't leave it out of sight. 

4 - Pack a Pair of Heels!
This may sound silly if you intend on backpacking throughout the Himalayas, but high heels can serve a few purposes. 

Last minute party invite.... heels help you party. 

Dodgy hotel and not sure if the door lock is working? Use the heels as a door jam when you're inside. 

Feeling unsafe on a long distance train or bus? Quickly whip out a heel to be used as a weapon if aimed in the right place. 

5 - Download a city map onto your smartphone before you travel
This will give you an idea of where you're staying (if you know), and you won't need wifi if you have to quickly refer to the map to find the closest facilities (police, hospital, cafe). Believe me, you don't want to be fumbling for a wifi connection when you need to quickly find a police station. Or toilet for that matter! TripAdvisor allows you to download maps for free! They're my "go to" essential on every trip!



Things will happen whether you stay at home or travel to distant lands and is not fool proof but hopefully this will give you a few ideas on how to travel safer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment