Thursday 10 November 2016

Violent Act in Vienna

Falling ill or injuring yourself on holidays is generally unexpected. I say "generally" because I happen to know of many people who travel knowing they have a medical condition that may flare up, or of travellers jumping head first into risky activities. But for the most part, most travellers don't intend on falling sick, or having an accident. 

Most travellers also don't expect to be attacked. Sadly it happens far too often; in my line of work we see approximately 30 cases per year of some form of assault on travellers and it's important to know what to do if it happens to you. 

Here is where I speak from recent experience. Not just "bystander" experience from the travellers we help every day, but from real life scary personal experience. 

A few days ago I was travelling by myself in what would be considered one of the safest cities in the world - Vienna. I booked myself into a mid-range hotel close enough to the action that I could walk around the city without fear. 

How wrong I was. 

Still suffering a little jetlag, I decided to explore the city as soon as there was light and ventured out at around 8am. I must admit my guard was down because I thought..... well, Vienna! The fifth safest city in the world, this is the land of the Von Trapps, of Sacher Torte and Viennese Coffee with whipped cream. 

I knew the moment I walked down a quiet street, and heard the footsteps behind me that I was in trouble. I had to think clearly and quickly and located a small shop with an open door approximately 100 meters in front and I quickened my step toward it. My attacker moved in fast, and as he approached me he grabbed my arm and swung me around so fast that I landed on the road, hitting my shoulder and head on the curb.

One saving grace was that my bag was across my body and under my coat - not easily accessible without some effort. My other saving grace was that the incident was witnessed by a man turning the corner who ran to my rescue and scared my attacker. 

The police were called, and I was taken to be checked out. Thankfully nothing broken, only a few bruises and a little anxiety about walking and sleeping on my own. 

With wise words from a friend, I ventured back out that afternoon (back on the bike so to speak), to savour some positive memories of the place and separate the incident from the city.  I then moved onto the next city the following day.

While this was an awful experience, here are a few "tips" that helped in not making it worse. 

 - My handbag was worn across my body and under my coat (its 1 degree right now)
 - I don't wear headphones with loud music, so I can hear my surroundings
 - I'd read the map before leaving my hotel room and "knew" my route
 - I was lucid and had my wits about me to plan an escape/exit
 - Sheer luck! 

My advice to anyone who may be attacked in a foreign country is to get help immediately. Don't blame yourself, and don't blame the city. Blame the person who attacked you.

If you require medical treatment, contact your travel insurance straight away so they can arrange it for you. If it's anything more serious, make sure your embassy or consulate are aware so they can provide any language or legal assistance for you. 

If you really feel unsafe, remove yourself from the area. 

And call a friend. It really helped to download it all and move on. 












No comments:

Post a Comment